Pro 21:25 The desire of the slothful killeth him; for his hands refuse to labour. That word slothful according to the Noahs Webster Dictionary 1828 means “ Inactive; sluggish; lazy; indolent; idle.”
This here teaches us that being idle is a suicidal act, and can kill us slowly. Another harsh statement right? The majority of our time is spent in idleness, either watching television, just scrolling through a social network or being carried away by video games.
Physical inactivity has been identified as the fourth leading risk factor for global mortality causing an estimated 3.2 million deaths globally, according to the World Health Organization.
“GO TO THE ANT, THOU SLUGGARD; CONSIDER HER WAYS, AND BE WISE” – PROVERBS 6:6
Have we considered how hard working and active ants generally are? I guess this explains why ants are the longest living of all insects, living for up to 30 years. By simply, being more active can add more years to our lives! This was the intention Christ had for us from the beginning (genesis 2:15) when man was placed in the Garden to dress and keep it.
SITTING A LOT CAN BE ‘VERY BAD’ FOR YOU
“This is a super, super analysis,” says James Levine, MD, PhD, professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. “We know that as soon as somebody gets out of their chair, their blood sugar improves, their blood cholesterol and triglycerides improve, and that’s very consistent. Every time you get up it gets better. Every time you sit down it gets worse.”
REGULAR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR HEALTH. IT CAN HELP:
1. Control your weight
2. Reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
3. Reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
4. Reduce your risk of some cancers
5. Strengthen your bones and muscles
6. Improve your mental health and mood
7. Improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you’re an older adult
8. Increase your chances of living longer
HOW TO BE MORE ACTIVE?
1. Add exercise to your daily schedule ( walking, cycling, gardening, swimming, etc.)
2. Do housework yourself instead of hiring someone else to do it.
3. Start a garden at home
4. Go out for a digestive walk after meals (opportunity to give bible tracts)
5. Park farther away at the shopping mall and walk the extra distance.
6. Instead of the elevator, take the staircase
7. Daily devotional will help you to be more spiritually active
8. Plan recreational activities with family instead of television watching
Deuteronomy 30:19 “I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live”
Why don’t you ask our Lord Jesus Christ to give you the power and strength, to enable you to add exercise to your daily life? He is able!